top of page

Smyre-Pasour House, Dallas, NC

Built sometime around 1848, the Smyre-Pasour House is one of the few antebellum structures remaining in the area and one of four buildings constructed around the Gaston County Courthouse, erected in 1848. The building reflects the Greek-Revival style, popular at the time.

The house was originally owned by Dr. J.F. Smyre, but was soon sold to Eli Pasour, who was the first mayor of Dallas, as well as a postmaster on two occasions, and was elected to the North Carolina General Assembly in 1881. He served one term as a legislator.

An extension on the north side was built for Pasour's daughter, Herselia, who taught privately in what was the second school in the town.

Still on the property is a granite upping block used for mounting horses, located by a lamp post between the current sidewalk and North Holland St. A well house built in the 1850s remains and is located in the the back yard.

The house is currently empty and for sale for either residential or commercial use.

Historical Marker

Smyre-Pasour House

Northern extenion, originally built as a school room

Upping block

Back of Smyre-Pasour House

Well house

Smyre-Pasour House

3 views0 comments

Commentaires


bottom of page